Thursday, February 26, 2015

Strong Ch. 6

       The craft assignments given as examples in the reading were all very interesting and great ways to promote writing motivation.  While reading, I thought about assignments I've had as a student both in high school and college and which ones fostered the most motivation. Take these blog assignments for example. I we were assigned a 1-2 page APA format reflection or a paper in response to a prompt every week, we would most likely groan the first day of class looking at the syllabus (I know I would).  The fact that we are using a blog, a form of technology with which are familiar, and writing in a less formal academic tone, the burden is lifted.  I look forward to reading how my peers responded and seeing if they have the same questions and feelings. The dialogue aspect of these assignments motivates me to not only write a quality blog, but to actually read the material.  If I just skimmed every reading, my blog would be lacking and I would miss out on the conversation - hence motivation (for me anyway).
       I wish I could go back in time and give multiple teachers the Ten Design Principles, specifically #2 :"Would I be interested in doing this assignment if I were one of my students?"  I've had many assignments I am sure my teachers would not have the time or energy to complete.  I was thinking about an assignment I had a few weeks ago.  I was assigned a "Critical Essay" about Morocco's history precolonial, colonial and post colonial. Going into the assignment I had no knowledge of Morocco (which was the point) however, I did not particularly care about the history of Morocco.  Why should I?  I don't live there, don't know anyone from there and it does not really play that big of a role in international affairs. I wrote the paper to get the A.  The essay could not be more than 5 pages, even though Morocco's history can be dated back for centuries.  As a history major, research skills are implanted in brain and it is a routine task. A "no brainer" - literally. Essentially I researched and regurgitated what I found.  I did not have to formulate any type of opinion or idea about Morocco's history.
        Lately, I find myself in "teacher mode" more often when I sit through hours of classes and complete numerous tedious assignments.  I ask myself what the purpose is and why the professor thought this subject or assignment is important.  I also think of how I can alter the assignment if I were to give it to one of my own students.  I came to the conclusion that the "big idea" of the Morocco assignment was to catch a glimpse of how a period of colonialism can affect those being colonized. We have been learning about the colonialism of Africa in general.  As a future history teacher I would definitely change the assignment. First, I would ask students to research material and organize/minimize their research.  (The essay only being 5 pages tells that it was meant to be a brief overview).  This could be done by providing students with questions they can search.  Did women's roles change and if so how? Which time period produced the best economy?  How did the political system work in each period?  After organizing their thoughts, students could write a letter to the French government as the sultan asking for independence based on the evidence they found about precolonial and the colonial time period. Students could act as citizens writing to the sultan during the neo colonial era about the various issues they now had to face as an independent country, etc.  This type of assignment shows that students have researched the material while causing students to actually think about the material they found. Students are forced to think about how people were affected by repression and exploitation and what it means to rebel and fight for freedom after it has been taken.  Students can relate this more recent struggle of freedom from a European colonizer to that of the 13 colonies of the United States.  Comparisons can be made of taxation without representation. Students will be aware of the big idea and the assignment will be worthwhile, and worth their time.  Students have the ability to be creative and as a teacher, I will not have to read 100 essays of the timeline history of Morocco or any other country for that matter.
   

(I could elaborate on writing motivation but I will stop here! This took a totally different path than I intended but it's okay because I like it!!!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda!

    What I enjoyed most about reading your post was that you connected the reading to your past and current experiences. This is most important, because it shows that you understand the text and want to build on your teaching skills for the future. It was interesting (and worthwhile) to analyze your assignment about Morocco, because you performed a “Think Aloud” in the process. Determining why your teacher wanted you to complete such a tedious paper assignment allowed you to play with the presumable essential question of the task. I think that the alternative ideas that you brainstormed have a lot more depth and value for students. And, I think that students actually want to complete assignments and learn when they feel that the task is meaningful in one way or another. Nice job thinking about worthwhile assessments!

    The second design principle, like you stated, was also pertinent to my educational studies. I think that it's very challenging to create assignments that are fun and valuable, but I also think that teachers MUST do this as part of their jobs. What good is it if students do not learn from their schoolwork? Teachers are already knowledgeable about their content areas, so the learning is for the students. As part of my teaching ideology, this is something that I must ascertain with each assignment (or I'm not doing my job the best that I can). The worksheets that we've examined in 407 are quite helpful in trying to determine the essential questions for various lessons and/or units. So, I definitely plan to keep these worksheets handy for the future! With each assignment, my goal is for my students to learn and think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, as Dominique had stated, thank you for adding your own personal touch to the reading. I think a blog can be used effectively especially within the humanities, not only does it provide students with accountability for reading, it encourages them to dig deeper into the reading. It also invites personal discussion (students are more likely to write if it pertains to them). Finally, it's nice to have a space to come and post things you think would benefit the class.

    Secondly, I absolutely loved your reworked Morocco assignment, we're also studying African colonialism in a Non-Western Literature course and this assignment would fit perfectly there as well. It gives students a focus, as well, do I want to focus on women, the economy, a particular time period (and show how colonialism had effects on that time period moreso than others), or as you stated you can compare/contrast. I think we should leave assignments open, we won't be reading the same papers over and over, and the students can really work with something that interests them .

    ReplyDelete