Thursday, March 26, 2015

D&Z Ch. 9 and 10

Chapter 9 brought up something I never really thought of doing, but totally love - Content Area Book Clubs. In many of my history courses in college we read at least 2 books each semester, yet in high school I don't recall reading much in history classes, which is a shame.  History is a content area with a countless number of great nonfiction books that can provide as supplemental material to a lesson and just enjoyment in general for the students.  The note taking choices and roles of connector, questioner, passage master, vocabulary enricher, illustrator and researcher are great tools to ensure that everyone is accountable.  Small groups can be difficult as some will not speak at all, and others may do all the talking.  With this method each student is responsible for reading the material.  I also asked the question of assessment because when reading a novel, certain moments will sick with students, and not all of the moments will be the same. The idea of a portfolio and project takes away the stressful aspect of assessment.  In high school it was easy to go on spark notes and memorize the characters and plots and regurgitate them on the test, without even opening the cover of the book.  That certainly did nothing to foster a desire of reading.

For my AP Human Geography class in high school we read the book The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. It is a story about Hmong immigrants and at first glance I dreaded having yet another novel to read on top of a heavy course load of my senior year.  My teacher organized the class similar to that of the book club.  We had many class discussion and activities that coincided with the book. Unfortunately the assessment part was more traditional with quizzes here and there to make sure we had read the material.  However, to my surprise, I actually really enjoyed the book and found it as enjoyment more than just "another homework assignment."  The book is used in a variety of fields.  I have friends in the nursing program who are reading it as part of health care classes.  I toculd be used for sociology as well.  Check it out!

http://us.macmillan.com/thespiritcatchesyouandyoufalldown/annefadiman




4 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,

    Thanks for the book recommendation, looks like I will be needing a lot of those. I did not mention the book club roles in my post, but I also like idea of having them. Roles were one of the many concepts Dr. Kraus introduced to us in 406. The roles in D & Z are pretty good, but obviously some might have to be replaced if they do not lend themselves to the reading (no difficult vocabulary, lack of imagery).

    I, like D & Z, really dislike the idea of assessment with the book clubs. To me, the point of the book club is for kids to learn to enjoy reading. If assessment is needed to motivate kids to read you have already failed. Though the books might be related to content, I would not rely on it to teach it so there will be plenty of grades elsewhere and one class every other week for book club seems manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    I will have to check that book out! Sounds interesting. Like you, I also liked the idea of the role sheets in the reading circles. I think it is a good way to ensure that all students are participating. However, D&Z advise us to use those roles only for a brief time. I personally think they are good once in while.

    Its nice to see that you had an experience with book clubs in high school. I never really experienced anything like it... Maybe I should add that to my list of things to do.

    I just want to comment on Nathan's comment above. You say if assessment is needed to motivate kids to read you have already failed. I feel like this is all I've ever done when it comes to reading. I've only ever read before a test, when I know I am going to be assessed. That would mean that all my teachers failed, and of course they haven't. So I'm not sure I totally agree with that point. If the book is related to content, there is no reason why it shouldn't be assessed. Don't forget, the students don't necessarily need to know they are being assessed. A simple assessment could be to see if students are prepared and participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda,
    I too like the idea of giving the students roles. I think that having a purpose while you are reading the book helps to foster better reading skills. I don't like to have reading questions because I feel that the students then focus solely on finding the information for those questions. But by having the jobs, they are able to focus on what they are feeling is important in what they read.
    I agree with Alisha's comment about assessment. The students shouldn't have to know that they are being assessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amanda,
    I too like the idea of giving the students roles. I think that having a purpose while you are reading the book helps to foster better reading skills. I don't like to have reading questions because I feel that the students then focus solely on finding the information for those questions. But by having the jobs, they are able to focus on what they are feeling is important in what they read.
    I agree with Alisha's comment about assessment. The students shouldn't have to know that they are being assessed.

    ReplyDelete