Friday, March 20, 2015

D & Z Ch. 5 and 8

I regret renting this book and not purchasing it because the strategies in chapter 5 are super helpful and is the perfect go to when planning lessons and introducing a new unit that may have difficult content. The strategies are all aligned to the Common Core Standards which is also helpful. For history, I particularly liked front loading with images post-it response notes (something totally new) exit slips and admit slips and tweet the text. Front loading with images prior to reading is common in many history classes and as a visual learner it was something I always appreciated.  I think what I liked most about the strategies offered in this chapter is that they are geared towards all students.  There are strategies for all learners and they allow for differentiated instruction in the classroom.  The Tweet and talk strategy caught my eye as a millennial who is overly addicted to technology. This concept can go much further than simply summarizing a text. A class twitter account is a great way to connect with students.  However, it is something to be cautious of when creating this account.  Do students have the ability to access twitter at home? Do they have a laptop or smart phone? Will it be used strictly in school?  Anyway, I checked out the link that was provided in the text and if offers some pretty cool stuff!  For history or sociology classes there is so much you can do! I particularly like the idea of following accounts with different biases to see how the media covers current events and interprets them differently. Tracking the government by following organizations is also a good idea.  In regards to current events and the news, lets face it, it's 2015 and our students are most likely not reading the newspaper.  I get almost all of my news from twitter. It's instant and in 140 characters you get the gist of what's happening and can chose to click the article and continue reading.  Students can share their findings via twitter and create a small academic sphere outside of the classroom. Check out some other cool ideas here! http://www.teachhub.com/50-ways-use-twitter-classroom

Another cool strategy that incorporates social media and was not mentioned (but maybe could have been) is having students create a facebook page as a specific character or person in time.  For example, each student can assigned someone in history, let's use the Civil War.  Someone creates a page for Abraham Lincoln and after reading about him they can summarize what they learned and create a status perhaps with a picture.  Other figures of the time can comment and create a dialogue.



Moving on from that excitement, the independent reading workshop is great to get students to read for both learning and enjoyment. Giving students choices can motivate them and they man actually look forward to reading.   As a teacher you would have to pay close attention to scheduling and timing to ensure that it does not too much time away from instruction. Other than that I think the idea is great!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda :) I like the idea of using Twitter in the classroom too, but I agree, you have to think about whether all students have access if you are expecting them to use it outside of the classroom - I also think about how fast social media use changes - will Twitter even be relevant to our future students? I know they all love Snapchat now - I have yet to cross that line! Maybe you would have to update your Facebook lesson idea (which is great) to Snapchat ... anyway, it just means we have to stay up-to-date and respond to what is relevant to our students - I have a feeling you will have no trouble keeping your finger on the pulse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, technology is changing rapidly! Snapchat would be interesting! It would definitely require some thought because the pictures and messages disappear within 10 seconds!

      Delete
  2. Hahah yes no nudie pics in my class please! I love your idea about the FB page Amanda! I might steal it...and thanks for the link to twitter in the classroom.

    Accessibility is a huge and sensitive issue I agree...especially because it teeters on social class disparities, wealth gaps between students and all those goody topics. However, I really and truly do not want to eliminate these awesomely instant techs from my classroom.

    I think about even my relationship with you and Jenna and how much it has blossomed lol just because we text and FB with each other. I like that connection...I know my students would too.

    I'm making it my second goal Amanda (beyond the death of industrialized farming obvi). I want to nail this tech in the classroom thang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda! I totally agree with you on Front-loading: "Front loading with images prior to reading is common in many history classes and as a visual learner it was something I always appreciated". Same here! Plus I think it helps to put a face to a name, don't you?
    I bookmarked that Twitter link (thanks for sharing!). I find students are always pleasantly surprised when teachers (even the young'uns like us) try to incorporate tech into the classroom. Using tech can be extremely fun and educational for the kids, and prove that we're flexible enough to try new things--win/win for everyone, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda,
    Like Emily said thank you for posting the link on using Twitter in the classroom. I do enjoy Twitter as well and think it can be an excellent resource when used carefully. I love the idea of encouraging students to follow different media outlets with different views in order learn bias. I do think, however, we should still make students aware of the print mediums that are "still" (thankfully) out there (I think more people like print then they admit). Students these days might not give print media a chance, so I think as teachers we do need to introduce it as an option. I feel like my childhood would have been different had my parents not subscribed to magazines like "National Geographic for Kids", I remember absolutely loving the facts provided and articles in that magazine. As long as we strike a balance with the media used, media can be an excellent resource.

    ReplyDelete